gnawledge wurker is William J. Gibson and the blog is very broadly about knowledge work….
gnawledge wurker was born in St. Catharines, Ontario in 1953. He was educated in Toronto at Blessed Sacrament School, Brebeuf College School, the University of St. Michael’s College at the University of Toronto, and in Barrie at Georgian College. He has lived almost all of his life in Ontario, Canada. His favourite place is Georgian Bay.
He began working with databases in 1978 and worked as a technical writer in the public and private sectors. His information technology working life began at the twilight of keypunch cards.
He worked with the original IBM PC and AT, Macintosh LISA, Apple IIc+. He became an expert in Word Perfect, dabbled briefly with Multimate, and the Microsoft Office Suite. He learned Visicalc, Lotus 1 2 3, and Quattro Pro. Database software he learned included UNESCO MINISIS, PC-FILE, DB2, Microsoft ACCESS (beginning with version 1.0). He learned desktop publishing software: Ventura Publisher, Aldus Pagemaker, and Microsoft Office Publisher. Image and presentation software he learned include: Harvard Graphics, Microsoft Powerpoint, Adobe Photoshop, JASC (now Corel) Paint Shop Pro, and Visio. Project management software got some of his time, including MacProject, MS Project, and ABT Project Workbench and Bridge Modeller.
Amex Canada, IBM Toronto Lab, Canada Wire and Cable, Ontario Ministry of Education, Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services, ONTERIS, Clearnet, Cyberplex, The Writing Factory, Unitel, Toyota Credit Canada, Huronia Museum.
Since the 1960s he has been trying to make photographs. His first 35mm camera was a Pentax SP 1000. His first digital camera was a Sony Mavica FD-7. Now digital cameras include: Nikon D3100 and Sony NEX F3.
- A Thousand Words, poetry and photos – Huronia Museum, 2005
- Juried Art Show – Huronia Museum – November 2003
- Waterfest Art Show – exhibitor – 2000 and 2001
- One Man Show – Cyberplex Interactive Media, Toronto (Oct. 2000) – Group Show (mixed media) – Cyberplex – (Spring 2000)
His other kind of writing
He co-edited the St. Michael’s College student literary magazine, Grammateion, in 1976
- Midland Area Writers Group 2010
- Fairlawn Centre Poetry Workshop (1999)
- Maritime Writers Workshop – Univ. of New Brunswick – (1996, 1997)
- The No-name Toronto Writers Group 1977-1980
- Way Past Midnight
- Grosse Île and Other Poems
- The Texas Cantos
- It’s the Dry Time, T.S.
- Easy Poems
- Broken Radius
- The Overshoe Hockey League and Other Poems
- The Black Cat Walks Down
- August Assembly
- November Works
- Canoe Poems with Stokes, Kruk and McCulloch
- The Write Summer
- Holiday Healing
- Grass and Snow
- A Third Glance – photographs 2011
- member Mariposa Writers Group 2011
- Publisher of Alburnum Press, established 1996
- Board Member, Southern Georgian Bay Arts Circle, 2003-2004
- Executive Director, Wandering Stage Productions, 1986-87,
- Executive. Director, Theatre Mickities, Univ. of St. Michael’s College, 1976-77
- Huronia Chapter of the Ontario Archaeological Society
- Huronia Museum
- Tay Township Heritage Committee 2012-2013
Kidney Failure and Dialysis
In November 2008, his kidneys failed and he began hemodialysis which saved his life.